Today we installed the statue, lighting for the statue, benches and an anchoring system, and made adjustments to the watering system. The project is nearly complete. A plaque will be added, and we will monitor the water system for a few weeks to make sure all the plants are taken care of.
Today’s workday started with power washing dirt and mold from the walls surrounding the garden, and mounting a hose reel to the back wall. Since we had extra time, we decided to move on to adding mulch around all the plants in order to prevent weeds and to keep moisture in the ground.
Our garden is starting to look like a garden now! We planted two fruitless olive trees, a rose garden, a succulent garden, and two butterfly gardens. We are finalizing the drip system this week. Mulch will eventually cover the irrigation tubing. We also built the cement base for the statue that will soon adorn the […]
Today was about finishing and strengthening the decomposed granite pathways. I was able to obtain some organic binding agent for the DG, and we rented a powerful compactor to make sure the pathway will last.
While trimming the dead branches off the two remaining trees on the lot, we determined that there was not much left of the trees that were still alive. We decided to pull them out and replace them. We spent a day and a half installing the pathways made from decomposed granite.
We spent several hours continuing to unravel the maze of sprinklers and repairing broken lines. We finally were able to remove all unneeded heads and pipes and get the standoffs in the right places for the drip system. We are now ready to start the landscaping!
After two months of rain delays, we were finally able to continue on the project. A small group of scouts joined me to remove most of the weeds that had grown on the lot, and adults and scouts came on Sunday to till and grade the lot. We also unraveled the maze of old sprinkler […]
Several scouts and I excavated five concrete footings from the property. In addition, several large cactus plants and numerous trash bags filled with weeds. Weather permitting, I hope to continue with the project within the next few weeks.
This corner lot once was used as a vegetable garden, but for several years has been ignored and weeds and cacti took over the lot. In addition to the several dozens types of weeds, there was several large concrete footings once used for a structure, several hundred feet of (mostly broken) pvc pipe – in […]